Lugu Lake is located in the northwest of Yunnan province, 200 km from Lijiang City. It’s a 7 hours car ride from Lijiang travelling to there. Lugu Lake is a deep lake which lies quietly in the magnificent mountains, dotted with some islets, and inhabited several minority groups, such Yi, Bai and Mosuo People. It is home to the Mosuo minority, (China’s only and last matriarchal society) and what has to be some of China’s most spectacular scenery. It’s a nice place to hiking and sightseeing for tourists.
Lugu Lake is known as the Plateau Peal which covers 58 square kilometers, is 2,680 meters above sea level, and the deepest is about 90 meters. In the area, Lugu Lake owns five islets, three peninsulas and one seawall even island. The lake, these islets, peninsulas, seawall even island, and the mountains shadow in the water make it a wonderful landscape painting.
Lugu Lake has the nickname of “Women’s Kingdom” as it is one of the few matriarchies which still exist in China today. When you come to visit Lugu Lake, you can go to explore the villages which scattered around the lake, to experience the local people’s life, to discover the mysterious Mosuo People’s culture, or to enjoy yourself in the pure nature scenery…
>> Pig-troughs Boat Lugu Lake Cruise:
Embraced by mountains around with zigzagging lakeshore, the islets in the Lugu Lake are usually 15 or 30 meters high above the surface, which are like green boats floating on the water when seeing at a distance. Among them, the Heywawoo Island, Rambie Island, and Rig Island on the side of Ninglang County are notable scenic spots of the highest appreciation and touring value within the lake with the fame of “Three Islands of Penglai”. From Luoshui Village, you can take Pig-trough boat cruise to visit these islets, which will give you the chance to get close to these beautiful and mysterious islands on the Lake and to appreciate the splendid scenery around the lake from the angle in the center of the lake.
>> Small Luoshui Village
When you arrive at Lugu Lake, the typical, you can have an amazing tour for hiking or just for sightseeing, or fishing at the lake, or exploring the mysterious Mosuo People’s culture and customs. Around Lugu Lake are full filled with mystery and charm, not only because of it was an unspoiled land and remains its completely beauty, but also because of the Mosuo people who live there form a matriarchal society. The head is the most capable woman in the family and is highly respected by other members. Women from the Mosuo tribe do not marry, take as many lovers as they wish and have no word for “father” or “husband”, which is called “Walking Marriage”. This is quite different from the modern people’s life. Therefore, visiting a local Mosuo people family and the Mosuo Folk Custom Museum will bring you a fresh and interesting experience.
A. Lijiang – Lugu Lake Expresses: CNY70 per person
B. Lijiang – Ninglang – Lugu Lake (Mini Bus): CNY60 per person (CNY30 per person from Lijiang to Ninglang, and CNY30 per person from Ninglang to Lugu Lake)
C. Tourists may circle around the lake with chartered bus, personal vehicles or hiking.
Entrance Fee: CNY100 per adult
Ride horse: CNY200-300 for horse ride around the lake.
Goddess Mountain cablelift: CNY90 per person(up and down)
Bonfire Evening Party:
Ticket: CNY30 per person
Time: 20:30 every evening
Location: Daluoshui village, Xiaoluoshui village, Nisai village and Lige village
– Preserved Pork: a whole hog smoked to perfection; it will not go bad for several years.
– Roast Fish: Processed Bayu fish, a special local product of Lugu Lake
Pickled Sour Fish: Traditional delicacy of Mosuo families to entertain guests. It is salted with lake fish, with viscera removed, under unique local method.
– Sulima Wine: Pale and yellow, this unique wine contains multiple nutritious substances, such as amino acids, carbohydrates and vitamins. It has low alcohol contents, tastes sour and sweet with faint scent. It has the functions of refreshing oneself, enhancing appetite and promoting the secretion of saliva or body fluid.
– Guangdang Wine: Also known as walking marriage wine, with 35°- 40° alcohol contents. It emits a unique fresh scent. People will not get drunk or hurt when drinking much. The more they drink, the more they want.
– Buttered Tea: A drink refined from milk, looking milky white, smelling fragrant, with rich nutritional values. It is a staple drink of the Mosuo people.
– Prinsepia Utilis Royle: Also known as green thorn fruit oil, capable of preventing and treating hyperlipemia, coronary heart disease, vascular sclerosis, liver disease and stomach illness, prinsepia utilis Royle is oil extracted from wild plant green thorn fruits, an original creation of The Mosuo people to the side Lugu lake.
– Mosuo Style Barbecue: roast suckling pig, roast whole lamb and roast bullfrog
Other gourmet foods of unique features of the ethnic group include Tuotuo meat, Mosuo dried sausage, juicy hog hoof, pig blood rice sausage, buckwheat cakes, silver fish and plateau red rice.
Preserved Pork: a whole hog smoked to perfection; it will not go bad for several years.
Sulima Wine: Pale and yellow, this unique wine contains multiple nutritious substances, such as amino acids, carbohydrates and vitamins. It has low alcohol contents, tastes sour and sweet with faint scent. It has the functions of refreshing oneself, enhancing appetite and promoting the secretion of saliva or body fluid.
Do not hesitage to contact us. We are an expert team and we are happy to work with you to refine the itinerary until you are satisfied.